mardi 24 avril 2012



Hi, mi teachers ask me to write another blogpost about: Whether or not I supported the student strike, here it is!  

Here in Rimouski, the students strike began on February 28th 2012 at night. All of our classes were suspended until we decided to stop it, which we did on April 3rd 2012. WE HAVE BEEN into the movement for 5 weeks, including our mid-term week and it HAVEN’T CHANGED anything. The strike is going agains’t the increase of our tuition fees. The increase is 325$ per years for five years so it is going to cost us to go to university 3,793$ PER YEARS in 2016-2017.

Here’s now, what I think about the tuition fees: Why, here in Quebec, are we paying less than every single OTHER provinces? We ALL KNOW that the major part of our money is going to health care because the Quebec’s population is getting older and older; here I am talking about the baby boomers. That’s a society choice that we have made. We put the major part of the government’s budget into it so we are keeping the population healthy. We haven’t decided to put ALL OF THAT MONEY into the education! The government can’t create money; we have to deal with what they have! Now, I done about that part, you know what I am thinking about the fees, let’s now talk about the strike.

I know that a lot of people have spent all their time into it and they really believed in it. But I personally didn’t. Here’s why. First, some university and cegep have been into the movement for 11 weeks. (I don’t know if you are familiar with the cegep, but we have 15 weeks of school per semester.)  Don’t they think that after almost their WHOLE semester manifesting and NOT going to school, they are going to change the government’s point of view? I don’t know, but to me, it looks like their losing a year of studying and I don’t personally think that at the end, they are going to win their fight. Some people are saying that students HAVE TO make sacrifices, but why would they? Why would some students lose THEIR summer jobs or at least summer money, because THEY PAY what they have to, they work their b** off just to make sure that they’ll have enough money to pay for their year tuiton fees, books and apartment. Also, another thing, I am sorry, but to all the people that were crying (I’m exaggerating of course) because they aren’t going to have enough money to pay the increase I would like to say:
WHAT A MINUTE !!!!
You don’t have enough money to pay that, but you have it when it comes to your iPhone, your Mac, your 2012 BRAND NEW CAR, you also have it when it comes to drinking every night of the week, to have a television, internet and all stuff that aren’t, to me, obligatory.

I have read on a French blog, but I don’t remember where, that a woman what saying something like:  You keep saying that education is a RIGHT, but let me remember something: To eat is MORE IMPORTANT THAN a right, it’s a necessity but it isn’t free. So why would university if it’s not a necessity to our survival?

I know, some programs, like Comunications at University Laval requires a Mac, but remember that you are not the only poor people on heart and that students are not rich people, that it’s normal that we have to work and the more we work for something, the more we appreciate it.

I’m sorry if you don’t think the way I do, I mean, I’m not sorry! because you have the right to! I am certainly not a big fan of the student strike, but I respect what you’ve done! I takes a lot a courage to sacrifice the way you did, but I am also SUPER DUPER glad that we’ve come back to school my friends!

Peace out,

I loved that video, hope you will too!

Émilie F.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire